Firstly, on your own, even if you know your diagnosis, you should not choose medications. Today there are 6 classes of drugs against high blood pressure, and they all have different principles of action and a list of indications and, most importantly, contraindications. If you choose a drug according to your neighbor’s advice, articles from the Internet or just at random, because you have heard the name of the drug, you can not only fail to reduce the pressure, but also worsen your condition.
When choosing blood pressure pills or heart problem medicine, the doctor is guided by a number of criteria. These are the patient’s age, associated health problems (high cholesterol, kidney problems, hormonal imbalance, diabetes, obesity), vascular reactions, upper and lower BP numbers. Medications from the following groups may be prescribed.
- Beta-blockers. These are medications that lower blood pressure by slowing the heart rate. If the heart works more slowly, it pumps less blood and delivers it to the blood vessels at a lower pressure. These pills are not without side effects – possible rashes on the skin, too much slowing of the pulse, resulting in weakness and malaise.
- Diuretics. They help to banish excess water from tissues and vessels, thus lowering blood pressure levels. They also have a number of side effects – adversely affect the contractility of the heart, can provoke nausea, cramps, dizziness, a feeling of numbness in the fingers.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. Hypertensives synthesize too much of a special hormone, angiotensin, which leads to vasospasm and fluid retention, increasing blood pressure. Drugs from this group block the work of the enzymes that help in the synthesis of this hormone. Less hormone means less vasospasm and lower blood pressure. The side effects of the drugs are not very numerous, but allergies and intolerance of drugs are possible, as well as coughing attacks, which literally torment hypertensives.
- Angiotensin antagonists. These are drugs with the opposite effect to this hormone. If the hormone acts on the vascular walls, it spasms them and raises the blood pressure, the drugs suppress the activity of the hormone by binding to its receptors. Side effects of these drugs are often nausea with dizziness, a sharp decrease in vascular tone and blood pressure.
- Calcium antagonists. Calcium ions are responsible for the tone of the arterial vessels, and the drugs in this group help to relax the vascular walls, which leads to lower blood pressure. Side effects of such drugs are tachycardia (heart beats faster) and dizzy spells.
Often doctors do not use a single drug but a combination of 2 to 3 drugs from different groups to make the effect more pronounced and reduce the number of side effects. In addition, the dose is adjusted gradually over 3 to 6 months, until the best combination of several drugs that maintain the pressure at a stable and safe level is achieved.
Sometimes the doctor supplements the basic therapy (drugs that need to be taken daily) with more drugs that are taken during crises, if the pressure spikes sharply and strongly. And the dose is also chosen very individually. That is why it is impossible to name the best blood pressure pills, in each case it will be a different combination, suitable for you. So if you have decided to buy blood pressure medication online, it is better to consult with your doctor so that he can help you to choose the right medication. This will help you to stabilize your blood pressure and get the best results in a short time.